Saturday, August 11, 2012

Our early summer adventures: Lichtenstein, Brugge, Pentecost, and Luxembourg

Last post:  May 24th.  So much has happened since then and I am overwhelmed to sit down and try to catch up this blog.

We took it easy in May.  Mike was traveling often for work and we had family coming in town June and July.  We did take a day to visit the Lichtenstein Castle and to go ride on of the bobsleds.  

Lichtenstein Castle is a quick drive--About an hour from our house.  This castle is more of a tiny little compound and is very rustic-  Beautiful views!  It even had a moat!  But, sans water...





Summer Bobsledding 
There are several of these bobsleds throughout the region.  Some are super high and really fast.  You take lifts to get to the top.  This one however, was really cheesy but was still very fun.  I was afraid to go alone the first time and on their web site I had seen a picture of two people in one car so we got on together only to be told it's really for one adult and a small child.  The man asked if I was afraid and I answered, "Yes!" so he said we could ride together once.  I guess it really is for one adult because our cart came off the railings and we fell out.  We could not stop laughing as we were rolling around on the ground-  This really didn't seem the most safety conscious place....  We got back on and rode it down with no problems.  

This is my favorite picture.  Mike is not happy with how slow I'm going so he kept ramming my sled.


Ehningen Pentecost Weekend

Ehningen is our village.  Throughout the year there are events and markets but, Pentecost Weekend is our big one!  Our village was transformed into a huge market down the streets of "downtown" and the fest area donned a big beer tent and carnival rides.  People from all around Stuttgart flooded our town!  Very fun!

Inside the beer tent.  There was live music and lots of food and beer. 


Mighty Dave and Lisa


Lisa, is English or Swedish depending on the day.  She makes me laugh!


Bruge, Belgium

Mike had a conference in Mons, Belgium so I tagged along so we could turn it into a little vacation and head to Bruge afterwards!  I doubt I will find many towns as pretty as Bruge.   It's referred to as the "Venice of the North" because of their beautiful canals.  As a surprise for Mike, I booked a hot air balloon ride over Bruge.  We had beautiful weather but unfortunately, an hour before they called and cancelled due to the winds.  Disappointing!  




 On the brewery tour!
 Belgian waffles of course
 Fondue for dinner
 The Beer Wall




On the way home from Bruge, we stopped in Luxembourg to visit Mike's cousin and his wife.  I am disappointed I failed to take any pictures of this overnight visit but, we had a great time.  Anita and Will have a beautiful apartment and we spent the afternoon/evening touring Luxembourg and stopped for a few beers.  Dinner on the square was great but, Anita's breakfast was even better!  It's nice to have family so close.  




No comments:

Post a Comment