Saturday, October 15, 2011

My New Norm

How is it possible I, of sound mind but no job, few friends, and a member of almost nothing, could be so busy this week?  Or was I?  It’s interesting how quickly we can adapt to our new norm.  I know what busy is and this week wasn’t it but, it sure felt that way!  Mentally draining is perhaps a better description...  And I’d prefer not to recap.
Mike was in Bratislava, Slovakia this week for work.  It was a short trip with minimal time for play but he did snap a few pictures for me!  This was Old Town and appeared to be a beautifully restored little place.





I was so impressed last week with my pumpkin bread I decided to make it again but, this time for a few of my sweet German neighbors.  My German is poor, but on demand, it's even worse than poor.   Ten minutes after stumbling through a conversation,  I can often mentally construct a decent response.  But, never on cue.  So, on pumpkin bread delivery day I really thought about what I would say and I repeated it a dozen times to Ali and Dempsey until I was confident I could speak in complete sentences--probably grammatically incorrect but I'm over that.  

"I have warm pumpkin bread with sweet cheese on top for you and your family."
"Ich hat varm kürbus brotchen mit suß kase für sie und sie familia."

I know what you're thinking:  Sweet cheese on top?   Well, a. I couldn't remember how to say cream and I don't know how to say frosting  ....and b. I haven't seen cream cheese in a local grocery store so I'm not sure they would've known what it was anyway.  Delivery was successful to all but one neighbor who was on holiday.  I ate theirs.  

Meine kürbis brotchen!
And one of my going away gifts! Thanks T!


I have decided to join the German American Women's Club which partners with the military community.  I love our military family but I feel it's important to step outside outside those borders and develop local friendships as well.  .....and especially here because for once, we are the foreigners.  The GAWC is a mix of social functions and civic responsibility.  I like.  Their annual fundraiser, the Pfennig Bazaar, was this weekend.  Gently used items are donated year round for this event.  Clothes, household items, toys--everything!  I wasn't sure what to expect but, wow.  Huge.  And, packed!  It's essentially a massive flea market and located in what I would call a Civic Center.  I giggled when I saw a wine bar was there and open for business!  Seriously, you cannot go anywhere that doesn't serve carbs and wine.  

Are you wondering if I worked this event?  I did.  One.. tiny... little... shift.  I practiced self control. 

There is just something about a sign-up sheet that excites me.  I always feel the need to put my name on all of them.  An associated visual:   So, there's me.  And then there is a big, goofy grin.  And then there's the excited hand raising with simultaneous hopping coupled with fist pumping.  All while shrieking "Pick ME!  OooOOoo Pick Me!"  This is a dangerous, dangerous practice.  I often wonder if I will ever learn my lesson.  Fortunately, a dear friend gave me a little reminder to carry.  She probably doesn't even know this was a great going away gift.  Jennifer, it was.  Thank you. 

 I'll give again.  I'll be a do-er again.  Just not right now.  










  

1 comment:

  1. I can say we have cream cheese in Lux - Philadelphia Cream Cheese, in fact!

    Glad to see you are getting out in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete